Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Yes to the dress, part 2

When I asked my two best girlfriends to be my bridesmaids, I was determined to be a cool, laid-back bride. "Don't worry," I told them, "you can totally pick your own dress! Whatever you want, as long as it's navy blue!" But as planning progressed and my bridal OCD intensified, I realized that I wasn't really into the mis-matched bridesmaids look. So I had to ask my friends if they would mind terribly if I went back on my word and had them wear matching dresses. They were remarkably cool about it, even after I added the caveat that they should be traditional bridesmaids dresses so that we could find matching dresses in juniors sizes for the junior bridesmaids. (But hey, at least I swore on a stack of Brides magazines that they could have total free range on shoes and accessories!)

Then came the hard part - picking a dress they would both like. (Or at least not totally despise.) Both ladies are gorgeous, but their styles are totally different. Bridesmaid J is into really edgy, high-end fashion, whereas Bridesmaid N has more of a relaxed, urban hippie kind of wardrobe. I was worried that they wouldn't both be able to find one dress in common...

But they did! We finally settled on this cute, flippy chiffon dress from After Six by Dessy:

Photo from RKBridal
I really like this shade of navy - erm, excuse me, "midnight" - and the chiffon selection for junior bridesmaids dresses is totally cute. The bridesmaids are both going to look seriously gorgeous in these dresses, and I think they'll each be able to bring their own unique style on board with their accessories - Bridesmaid J can wear some super-fancy heels while Bridesmaid N rocks some cute chunky sandals, and so on. Totally can't wait to see them walking down the aisle with me!

2 comments:

  1. I really like the dress they chose! I'm not normally into matching dresses but that one's very pretty and I would totally re-wear it to another party/semiformal event. It's also great that you're letting them customize it with their own accessories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it, too! I think it's got the perfect vibe for our wedding - fancy but a little casual - and will be easy to personalize.

      Delete