Thursday, November 8, 2012

Let's get some shoes!

Oh, shoes. My best friend... and oldest enemy. As much as I salivate over gorgeous stilettos, sophisticated Ferragamo flats and hip, chunky-heeled sandals, I can almost never wedge my size 12W tootsies into any of them. For my girlfriends, shoe shopping is a fun, relaxing way to spend an afternoon... but for me, it's more like days of scouring the internet for something even remotely cute. So of course, I had to get a head start on looking for wedding shoes!

I knew I was in trouble the moment I laid eyes on the Kate Spade Charm slingbacks. Fuschia satin... multi-colored glitter... be still, my beating heart!


Unfortunately, this love was not meant to be. Even if I was willing to go all out and splurge on these shoes that I'll probably never wear again - except to work and the grocery store and while doing laundry and like EVERYWHERE, obviously - these works of art do not come in wide widths. 

Heartbreak! I briefly considered foot reduction surgery, but thought I'd give DIY a shot first. After all, a pair of fuschia slingbacks in my size can't be too hard to find, and I could always give them the glitter and Mod Podge treatment at home, right? Faux Kate Spade, here I come!

Inspired, I ran to Paper Source for all the necessary supplies. After dinner tonight, as I started laying down newspaper and rifling through drawers for masking tape, Mr. M stifled a groan. 

"What's the project this time?" he asked.

I yanked an old pair of heels out of my closet and held them up triumphantly. "I'm going to glitter my shoes!" I said. 

Mr. M backed away slowly. "Yeah.... great... glitter! Okay. I'll be in the bedroom playing video games if you need me. Uh... good luck with that."

"Pssh! I don't need luck," I replied, "these are going to be AWESOME."

Approximately five hundred coats of Mod Podge and glitter later:


Meh. I'm not in love. They're definitely sparkly! But the glitter is a little bit lumpy, the tape peeled off funny so all of the lines are uneven, and despite my best efforts, there are still little glitter-less patches here and there. These shoes might be okay for an evening at the club, where lights are low and people are drinking.... but I don't think I want to walk down the aisle in shoes that look like they were made by a moderately talented kindergartener.

Deflated, I went back online to see if I'd missed a potential shoe candidate in my earlier searches. And that's when I found this:

It's the "Romance" shoe from the Glass Slipper collection at DSW. It's not quite as stunning as my first love from Kate Spade, but it hits all the relevant marks - fuschia, glittery, slingback-ed and available in wide width! I snatched them right up, of course. They'll be here in a few days, so please cross your fingers for me! 'Cause if these don't work, I might have to investigate that foot reduction surgery after all.

4 comments:

  1. My fingers are totally crossed: I love those DSW shoes! Of course, I love the Kate Spade shoes too (I have a similar pair of flats, I forgot who made them) but affordable is always better!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just got them! The good news: they fit! The bad news: they hurt. :(

      I'm wearing them around the house for a bit to see if they can be saved!

      Delete
  2. You had me at pink, glittery, and a bow. I love the DSW shoes, they are pretty darn close! I love the look of shoes like this, sadly my feet do not like heels. At. All. I will am still planning on wearing a pair of bright pink heels on my wedding day for the reception and pictures (the mister is almost a foot taller than me) and then switch to something comfy for dancing. I'm thinking my Toms will be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My feet hate heels, too. :(
      I got a pair of glittery flats from Payless to wear for dancing, though! So I just need to wobble down the aisle in something with a little more height and then it's all about the flats!

      Delete