Tuesday, August 14, 2012

All Weddings, All the Time


Mr. M strolled into the living room today and found me sitting at the computer with five browser windows open at the same time - my wedding planning spreadsheet, the boards at Weddingbee, a wedding blog, my Pinterest page and the embossing tools selection at Paper Source. Maybe it wouldn't have been so bad if I wasn't also printing out the contract to sign and send to our florist, writing out a check to the trolley company and downloading the Brides magazine app to our iPad... all while watching Say Yes to the Dress.


He was nice about it, of course, letting me get away with just a bit of gentle teasing... but I really couldn't help but wonder whether my Type-A tendency towards over-planning was getting the best of me.  I've really got a one track mind these days! I found myself at Grand Central last week, browsing the magazine selection at a huge newsstand before a long train ride and looking for a new bridal magazine to keep me entertained. Much to my horror, I realized that I had already read them all.

Every. Single. One. 

From Bridal Guide to Martha Stewart Weddings to the Knot, and even dipping into the slightly more obscure Manhattan Bride and Destination Weddings, I had completely exhausted the available supply of wedding magazines. Um. Oh, man. I'm embarrassed for myself. 

We're about ten months out from our wedding day now, and I think it's time for me to take a little tiny bit of a step backwards, stop dropping wads of cash on stacks of glossy ads and start reading the New York Times... at least more often than I read Ruffled. Otherwise, I think I'm in danger of becoming The Girl Who Only Talks About Her Wedding. And noooobody wants to be that girl! 

So for now, I'm gonna call it a night, get into bed and read an actual book. One that has no lace, no fine china ads and absolutely no etiquette tips. Oh, Lyndon B. Johnson biography... you are exactly what I need right now!

4 comments:

  1. I'm excited to get back to college so I can escape from always-wedding, all-the-time! Because I totally love wedding planning, but I also like thinking about other things, haha: it's good to have a balance, but I agree, it's so easy to get caught up in wedding goodness!! I hope you enjoy the biography: sounds really interesting (I LOVE biographies <3).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. College definitely sounds like a good distraction! And yes, the biography is great - you should check it out!

      Delete
  2. I completely feel your pain! My problem is I'm currently waiting to start a new job, so in the mean time I have a lot of time at home! It's driving Mr CL to distraction having me constantly going on about wedding things. Completely obsessed with Don't Tell the Bride and a whole heap of other wedding shows. Always covering the house in DIY stuff and the smell of the hot glue gun. And there's still another 10 months to go... Hopefully I'll be a little more distracted/have more to talk about once I start work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww! Well, it's good to get it out of the way now while you have free time! :) But yeah, I hear you - Mr. M is like, "Stop talking about weddings!" sometimes. It gets to be quite an obsession!

      Delete