Sunday, July 8, 2012

Saying Yes to the Dress

My original approach to wedding dress shopping was pretty much the same as my approach to dessert buffets: I WANT TO TRY ALL THE THINGS! I made appointments at five - oh yes, five - bridal salons over the course of two weekends. It was the Mrs. M-to-be Wedding Dress Tryin' Jamboree 2012 - and everyone was invited! (Well, not Mr. M, of course.)

My mom came down to Brooklyn on Friday morning to begin the satin and taffeta-draped marathon. We met up with one of my bridesmaids, J, and started out at the White Gown in Brooklyn, a hip and sophisticated little bridal boutique in the Dumbo neighborhood. My experience there was lovely beyond words. As a solidly plus-sized bride, I was really nervous that I'd be relegated to either holding pretty dresses up to myself in the mirror or shimmying into a parade of dumpy, boring plus size dresses. I shouldn't have been so pessimistic - the White Gown had zillions of gorgeous sample dresses in my size! (Or at least very close to my size.) I was able to try on at least seven or eight dresses in the style that I wanted, and at least three of them were very serious contenders. My consultant Erin was amazing - intuitive and friendly and welcoming - and the salon itself was really comfortable and pretty. My only tiny, tiny complaint was the size of their robes - guys, if you carry a sample size 22, invest in some XL robes for the size 22 ladies! But other than that, the experience couldn't have been better.

The Enzoani Fabi - is this dreamy or what?
I fell in luuuurve with the Enzoani Fabi dress -  especially after Erin showed me how much more flattering it was with a sparkly sash at the waist - but I still had four more appointments to get to, so I left the salon with Erin's card, pretty positive that Fabi would be my gown!

Our next stop was Kleinfeld's. I wasn't optimistic when we walked in - at four o'clock on a Friday afternoon, the place was a madhouse. We stood around waiting for a seat in the lobby to open up - and waiting for my other bridesmaid, N, to join us - and finally snagged a sofa just moments before my consultant, Antonella, appeared. I recognized Antonella from the show, Say Yes to the Dress, and was totally excited to see her! She was working with a newer consultant that day, showing her the ropes, and it was really cool to see the interaction between the more seasoned Kleinfeld's veteran and the super enthusiastic and sweet newbie.

We went into a dressing room and went over budget and style. I had printed out some dresses from the website but, like a doofus, totally forgot to bring them. I tried to describe the things I liked - dropped waists, full skirts, lots of drama - but also told them that I was totally open to suggestions. After a couple of minutes, everyone left - the consultants to the stock room, my entourage to a couch - and I slipped into my (perfectly sized) silver robe to wait.

The first few dresses were beautiful, but not really an improvement over the Fabi. I tried on the pretty Sophia Moncelli ballgown from the opening credits to SYTTD: Big Bliss and a Bliss by Monique Lhullier dress that was covered in organza roses. Both were lovely, but.... they just didn't quite top the Enzoani from the White Gown.

And then they brought it in - THE DRESS. It didn't look like much on the hanger, but I figured they knew better than me and I might as well try it on. You never know, right?

I stood on the pedestal as Antonella tugged the corset lacing tighter and tighter. And what was that in the mirror...? I had a waist! And boobs! A flat stomach and curvy hips! I looked taller... and elegant... and, oh my God.... beautiful!

As soon as I stepped out to show the crew, I knew we had a winner on our hands. The ladies, who had mostly been giving lukewarm nods and forced smiles to the giant, froofy ballgowns I loved, all lit up and started nodding. And when I turned around to show them the dramatic train? It was a chorus of "Yes! YES!"

We walked out to the pedestal in front of the full length mirror. I stepped up on the pedestal and dropped my armfuls of skirt. The silky fabric cascaded to the floor as my mom straightened out the beautiful train behind me. Another consultant came up and slipped a stunning beaded cathedral veil in my hair. Oh man. I melted.

I quizzed the folks I was with - do you love it? Do you think this is it? Do you really really love it? They all said yes. And so, after a few emotional moments in the fitting room alone with my mom, with tears of happiness in my eyes, I said yes, too.

And the celebrating started! "Are you saying yes to the dress?!" Antonella asked, laughing. "I am saying yes to the dress!" I replied. And we all laughed and took pictures and I took one last long glance in the mirror before I took it off, picturing myself walking down the aisle on our wedding day, Mr. M standing at the altar. I could really, really see it. And oh man, I really can't wait.

2 comments:

  1. That sounds like an amazing experience at Kleinfeld's! I went there as well, but it was less than magical. My two bridesmaids and I were squished into one of their little doctor-like rooms the whole time. So did you skip your last three appointments?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, those rooms were tiny! My entourage sat outside my room and waited for me to come out - we would have all passed out from lack of oxygen if they'd stayed in there with me!

      I did skip my last three appointments - kind of a bummer, since I love trying stuff on and was really looking forward to our weekend trip to DC! But at the same time, I loved the dress and got really caught up in the moment... and was honestly a little relieved that I wouldn't have to climb into and out of any more sample dresses.

      I still have a little bit of dress regret/cold feet - like, "What if something better was out there in store number three or four?" - but realistically, I think I made the right choice. :)

      Delete