Saturday, December 8, 2012

Suit-able

Earlier today, Mr. M and I met up with his best friend (and best man) at our local Men's Wearhouse to get our BOGO on. I'd found a nice medium gray suit online that would work out to be about $160 per groomsman, and all the guys were on board. We just needed to visit the suit in person - and figure out Mr. M and his best man's sizes - before pulling the trigger.

When we got to the mall and announced ourselves at the Wearhouse, the salesman told us that they didn't carry the suit we were looking for in that particular store. Bummer! But with a little bit of coaxing - I think he could tell we weren't going to be buying on the spot - he measured the boys and led us over to the racks to see what else was available.

I pulled a few contenders from the sea of gray suits - one lighter, one darker and one of the Vera Wang tuxedos just in case. The guys tried on the blazers, held up the ties, looked at themselves in the mirror and then looked at me expectantly. And... I went totally blank.

Uh oh, said my brain, I think we're supposed to have an opinion here. Is this our vision? Can you wear that tuxedo without a vest? Would charcoal look better than dove gray? Does this color look good with the ties I just dropped a Benjamin on? Yikes, I don't know! Maybe the salesman does....

"Um... do you think this tie goes with these suits?" I asked him.

"It depends on what kind of look you're going for," he replied.

Okay... I'll take that as a no! After a little bit more brow furrowing (from me) and posing in the mirror (for Mr. M and the best man) we thanked the salesman and left. I trailed behind the guys on the way to the Auntie Anne pretzel stand. All of a sudden, I was feeling really uneasy about this whole planning-your-own-wedding thing. Why did I buy those ties before we bought suits? Why didn't I ask one of my really fashionable guy friends to help me out with this? And how did I get to be thirty-one years old without knowing even the first thing about buying a suit for a man? Maybe I shouldn't have canceled that Cosmo subscription after all...

I started spiraling on the subway ride home. I don't think the blue ties match the blue bridesmaids' dresses at all. What if they don't? And what if the ties don't match the flowers? The ties are so preppy and the flowers are so soft and romantic... they're completely different styles! And the bridesmaids' dresses don't go with my dress! And my shoes won't go with anything! This whole wedding is going to look like I just closed my eyes and pointed at things! Aaaaarrrggh! Damn you, Men's Wearhouse! Damn you and your BOGO sale! 

But just as I'd worked myself up into the frothiest bridal froth I'd ever achieved, I stopped for a minute and looked at Mr. M sitting next to me. He hasn't been feeling well lately, but he still managed to drag himself out of the house and into a mall. In the middle of December. For me. Honestly, we could show up at the altar in pajamas and party hats and it would still be the best day of my life. All the rest of the stuff is just details, and it will all work itself out.... right?

(And hopefully, just in time for the next BOGO sale!)

No comments:

Post a Comment