Monday, May 21, 2012

Early spring brings a lot of wonderful things - the first few hints of warm temperatures after a cold winter, tiny shoots of garlic and wild onion at the farmer's market... and wedding expos for all the blushing brides-to-be who got engaged over the holidays!

I wasn't super excited about the idea of attending a wedding expo at first; especially in a place like New York City, I figured they would all be over-crowded and underwhelming. But after my mom reminded me that my brother and sister-in-law had won a free honeymoon in the Bahamas at an expo, I changed my tune pretty quickly. Oh, and figuring out that most of these things had free booze, too? That helped.

What I didn't realize was how much fun these events could be! Mr. M and I kicked off our expo season with a visit to Brooklyn Based's Wedding Crashers event at the Green Building in Brooklyn. It was fantastic - we were greeted at the entrance by a waiter with flutes of champagne. A little bubbly? Don't mind if I do! Within a few minutes, Mr. M had wandered off to check out the Groom's Lounge (complete with thimble-sized samples of Hudson Whiskey) while I had my makeup done -gorgeously, natch - by an artist from NYC Faces. After we joined back up, we circulated around the room and gorged ourselves on the copious free samples of seriously delicious food. I spent a ton of time in front of the Bee's Knees Baking Co table, trying to sample each flavor of cake-pudding-cake-frosting there was to try, and scarfing down the mini cupcakes at the One Girl Cookies table. (Love them.) My friend Gaia's amazing store, By Brooklyn, was there representing - and handing out killer goody bags stuffed with all kinds of sweet things. I probably would have gone into sugar shock if it wasn't for the food trucks parked outside, giving out trays of burgers, schnitzels and miniature lobster rolls.

It wasn't all food, of course - we got to check out some stunning floral designs, drool-worthy letterpress invites and I even got to say hi to my photographer, who we'd booked a week or so earlier. Finally, after we'd tasted every cake, sampled every cocktail and pored over every pretty invitation suite, we left, bellies bloated and complimentary tote bags full of info.

The New York Magazine Wedding Event turned out to be a less-hipster-y, more Manhattan-y version of our twee Brooklyn wedding expo. It was also great, but in different ways. We sipped free-flowing champagne as we cruised from booth to booth, signing up for honeymoon giveaways and collecting take-home goodies. I wound up falling in love with a particular floral display there -  this awesome collection of hydrangea, roses, orchids and feathers from Bride & Blossom. How gorgeous is this?

Picture above is from the Bride & Blossom blog, photographer uncredited.

The Wedding Event gift bags were second to none - we came home with more makeup, chocolate truffles and Lenox crystal toasting flutes than we'll ever be able to use. (Well... except for the truffles, of course.) Wedding expo #2? A smashing success!

No comments:

Post a Comment